Many of us have heard of Christmas in July, which is the phrase used by retail stores for sales held in the month of July. Well, Amazon.com is taking this concept one step further and having what they are calling "Prime Day" on July 15. This day also happens to be their birthday - they turn 20 this year (2015) - which I am sure is not a coincidence.
So, why am I telling you about this? Because being a member of Amazon's Prime has a Harry Potter perk in the Kindle Owner's Lending Library and it is entirely possible that there will be at least one great Harry Potter deal on Prime Day.
What Is Amazon Prime Day?
Amazon decided to celebrate their birthday by creating Amazon Prime Day. Prime Day will be a one-day shopping event that will be held on July 15, 2015, and will be very similar to Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
Every day Amazon has what they call Lightning Deals. Lightning Deals are sale prices on designated items that are available for a specific period of time or until inventory runs out, which ever comes first. The prices for Lightning Deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday are lower than the rest of the year.
According to Amazon, Prime Day will have even better deals than Black Friday or Cyber Monday. But there is a catch - only Prime members can shop the special deals on this day, hence the name.
There will be Prime Day specials in a lot of categories, including clothing, electronics, lawn and garden, movies, patio, sports and outdoor items, toys, video games, and more. Learn more about Prime Day here.
What Is Amazon Prime?
Prime is an exclusive membership that Amazon.com shoppers can join.
What Are The Benefits Of Amazon Prime?
There are a lot of benefits to being a Prime member!
- Free two-day shipping to addresses within the continental United States and free standard shipping to addresses in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico - learn more about Prime Shipping here
- Watch unlimited movies and TV shows from the thousands that Amazon has available for streaming on over 600 devices - browse the Prime Video content here
- Unlimited music streaming of over one million songs, all ad-free, on a variety of devices, including Androids, iPods, iPhones, PCs, and Macs - learn more about Prime Music here
- Unlimited photo storage on the Amazon Cloud Drive - learn about Prime Photo here
- 30 minutes early access to Lightning Deals - see today's Lightning Deals here
- Read over 800,000 eBooks on Kindle and Fire devices, including all seven Harry Potter books, all with no due dates - learn about the Kindle Owners' Lending Library here
Will There Be Any Harry Potter Deals On Amazon Prime Day?
I wish I knew! Amazon does give advance notice on their upcoming Lightning Deals, but it is 24 hours notice. Prime Day is on July 15, which is one week away from the day I wrote this, so there is no way for me to know if there will be any discounted deals on Harry Potter merchandise.
Having said that, I have reason to believe that it is very possible that some type of Harry Potter item will be discounted for Prime Day. Last year Amazon had deeply discounted prices for Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving in the US, as they do every year. I saw them sell the Harry Potter Page to Screen book collection, seen below at an incredibly low price. I no longer remember what the price was, but it normally sells for around $650, and I think the Black Friday price was in the neighborhood of $150 or $250.
On a side note, I have regretted not being able to buy that particular special. I was out of town at my in-laws for the holiday and saw the sale on Amazon's site, but I didn't have my Amazon account information so couldn't buy it.
So, could there be something Harry Potter related for Prime Day? Yes. Will there be? I don't know.
Can I Try Amazon Prime To See If I Like It?
Yes! Amazon will let you use Prime for a full 30 days so you can see if it is right for you. You can cancel it at any time within the 30 days and you won't be charged the annual fee.
Do You Have Any Advice?
Yes! If you are optimistic that there might be at least one Harry Potter item that goes up for sale on Prime Day, or for any of the other great deals they are sure to have, then I suggest the following:
- Join Prime now, before Prime Day. Trust me when I say you'd kick yourself if you wait until you saw something you want on Prime Day to join, then lose out on the deal because you were busy with the registration process. I've done this before on another site and speak from experience.
- Sign up for Amazon's Daily Deal email. You can do this by going to the Daily Deals (this is where the Lightning Deals and other deals are), click on the "Never miss another deal link," then click on the "Get our daily deals e-mail" link. This way you will start getting an email each day about their daily deals and you will be reminded of Primed Day on July 15th.|
- Add a reminder, to your computer, tablet, or cell phone, about Prime Day so you won't forget.
- If you will be away from your home on the 15th but have the ability to shop Amazon where you are, such as on your cell phone or tablet, then plan ahead. Log in to your Amazon account ahead of time, and have your account password with you so that you can log back in if you get timed out. Don't make the mistake that I made when I lost out on the Page to Screen book collection!